Sunday, August 14, 2005

sad posting

This marks a first for brooklyn fix, a posting without a picture. The reason for this you might ask? Well, I lost a recent and dear friend this weekend. MY TRUSTY BXM BIKE! Someone stole the god damn thing! I've only had it for 2 weeks, and POOF! Gone! BOOOHOOMAMAHAHAHAHAHA. How did it get stolen you might ask? Well, initially I thought it was my own damn fault, but after later inspection I am left scratching my head. I left the bike at a subway station and locked it up with the HUGE chain and even bigger lock, an "american lock" and a chain big enough to kill someone if you swung it at their head. When I returned to claim my wheels the only thing left behind was the lock and chain. Not broken, not smashed, but lying there with the lock WIDE OPEN. My first thought was that I hadn't closed the lock all the way, giving me the false impression that it was secure. I did one of those double takes and said to myself "nah, my bike must be around here somewhere, and that lock and chain lying on the ground aren't mine" Low and behold they were. Later, after the shock wore off I did some experimenting with the lock to realize that it is virtually impossible to semi-close the lock. It will either stay open or stay shut nothing in between. With this knowledge in hand I was left thinking "what the fuck?" So, the next door neighbor informed me that he has heard of people having "master keys" that open any lock. This might explain why the lock was open, but it doesn't account for the fact that the thief left the lock. Why not take the whole damn thing? I'm at a loss for words and now on foot once again. After searching the internet to possibly comfort my loss I came across this survey done by Kryptonite locks (They make the most bad ass locks around, and they cost a fortune.) which shed some light on my plight:

Kryptonite's Top 10 Worst Cities for Bike Theft

10. Honolulu, HI
9.
Minneapolis, MN
8.
Philadelphia, PA
7.
Austin, TX
6. Boston (includes Cambridge, Allston, Somerville)
5. Washington, DC
4. San Francisco, CA
3. Miami, FL
2. Chicago, IL

Drum Roll Please....

1. New York, NY


Fantastic! The great search for a new bike begins. I'll keep you updated.

No comments: